Author Topic: Bhalu - Origin of the word  (Read 4367 times)

northstar

• 10X
Bhalu - Origin of the word
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:39:47 AM »
I noticed that members on this forum have deep interest in kala, sahitya and itihas  ;)

So, please enlighten us:
   What is the origin of the word "Bhalu"?
   Since when has it been in use?
   When did it first appear in Nepali literature?

samir211

• 50x
Re: Bhalu - Origin of the word
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
It's a slang word, just only regarded as very informal but common in speaking than writing, and typically restricted to a particular group of people - new generation. Nobody originated this as it was previously used to in different context by old folks. Verbally it still refers to a Wild animal  or a teddy bear.

kurakani

• 50x
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
I noticed that members on this forum have deep interest in kala, sahitya and itihas  ;)

So, please enlighten us:
   What is the origin of the word "Bhalu"?
   Since when has it been in use?
   When did it first appear in Nepali literature?

Does it even appear in literature ?
It's just an urban slang.... that got popular

भालु जस्तै नंग्रा हुने .. .. भनेको होला 

jumpstead

• 50x
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
Slang for sex worker "Bhalu" started soon after 2046. There was one incident in Dharan Jungle, that three guys made agree a girl for paid sex. Location was chosen in the jungle. But one of the guys couldn't keep his mouth shut and spread the words amongst  his friends. So finally group of 7/8 fuckers made the attendance with their hard dick in the jungle and hid in the woods. When they started to fuck, girl noticed, after the third dick in her hole, dicks wont stop coming. Then she knew what is going on. She made protest but guys wont stop. Finally she made her marks from around the face to the balls of those guys how confronted her.

Days after that incident, in gossips guys from "chhata chowk" named that girl "Bhalu" coz she did the drawings as if bear wud have done.

Words similar to Bhalu are, Jhingey and Pung!

tundikhel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »
Interesting ;)

Slang for sex worker "Bhalu" started soon after 2046. There was one incident in Dharan Jungle, that three guys made agree a girl for paid sex. Location was chosen in the jungle. But one of the guys couldn't keep his mouth shut and spread the words amongst  his friends. So finally group of 7/8 fuckers made the attendance with their hard dick in the jungle and hid in the woods. When they started to fuck, girl noticed, after the third dick in her hole, dicks wont stop coming. Then she knew what is going on. She made protest but guys wont stop. Finally she made her marks from around the face to the balls of those guys how confronted her.

Days after that incident, in gossips guys from "chhata chowk" named that girl "Bhalu" coz she did the drawings as if bear wud have done.

Words similar to Bhalu are, Jhingey and Pung!

northstar

• 10X
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Slang for sex worker "Bhalu" started soon after 2046. .....

Really, jumpstead?  ;D  I hope your story behind the origin of "Bhalu" is just a joke.

I have known the word Bhalu since I was young. It was common among us adolescent boys. And I'm not talking about 20 years ago - I'm talking about circa 2035 BS. I'm not from anywhere close to Dharan but from far-western region. Obviously, it has been in use much longer than I have been in the world. I know older people using it when I was still little, so most likely we learned from the generation before us.

Yes, it is used in Nepali literature. Why would such a common word not be used in literature? Just Google "Nepali Bhalu story" Perhaps, by literature, you understand school books or uptight Victorian literature.  ;D  In that case, you won't find the word "randi" either. Only "Vaisya" 

Contrary to another posting - the word Bhalu is NOT restricted to "new generation". I'm definitely not "new generation". It was and is common in my generation. I think you are speaking from local (time or space) experience.

Using "Bhalu" instead of "randi" or archaic "vaisya" is interesting within Nepali community. I have been to many places within Nepal and and outside Nepal - the usage of "Bhalu" is consistent (i.e. same as randi) within Nepali community. We share a lot of vocabulary with Hindi, which has many dialects/variations but to my knowledge "Bhalu" word does not mean "randi" in Hindi.

What about Newari language? or the Standard Tibetan? What does "Bhalu" mean, other than the animal?

jumpstead

• 50x
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »
C'mon mate
I told what i know!

tundikhel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
This is interesting ;)
Looks like the word Bhalu has a "long history".

I guess we should talk about other Nepali slang words too.